In-Progress Grade Policy (IP)

An "IP" grade is issued when the nature of the course requires ongoing work that cannot be completed in the semester in which the student was enrolled in the course. Typical courses for which an "IP" grade is an option include independent studies, field work/clinical experience courses, project courses, self-directed study and similar courses of an unstructured nature. Coursework for an "IP" grade must be completed within one calendar year following the semester in which the grade was issued. When the coursework is completed, the instructor of record will issue a revised grade converting the "IP" to the appropriate letter grade. In cases where one year is not sufficient to complete the coursework for reasons deemed valid by the instructor, the student may appeal to the chair/dean for an extension. If "IP" coursework is not completed and/or an extension has not been approved by the instructor, the "IP" grade will automatically be converted to a letter grade of "F." No student will be allowed to graduate with an "IP" on the official transcript.

The Request for Incomplete or In-Progress form must be submitted by the instructor with the stipulations outlining the outstanding requirements needed to complete the course. This form must then be approved by the student before the grade of IP will be entered by the Office of the Registrar. The form must have been submitted and received all approvals PRIOR to the last day of the term.