Academic Policies and Procedures

It is the responsibility of every Walsh University student to be familiar with and complete the requirements for the degree being sought. Each student is assigned a faculty advisor who assists each semester with the core and the major/minor requirements necessary for graduation. Additionally, first year students have a professional advisor to assist with schedule development and the transition to college life. However, it is the student who must ensure that the core, major/minor, degree and overall graduation requirements have been completed in the manner outlined in this catalog.

The University reserves the right to change its academic policies and procedures. Changes will be publicized to minimize inconvenience to faculty, staff, and students.

Walsh University reserves the right to modify or discontinue any academic offerings or degree programs when demand falls below reasonable levels. In such cases, the University will make reasonable efforts to allow current students to complete the program or will assist in their transfer to other acceptable programs.

One of the most important academic tools is this Catalog. It is the responsibility of each student to become familiar with the Catalog to ensure fulfillment of all requirements for graduation.

Academic Appeals

All students have the right to appeal a grade or academic decision which they believe to be in error or unfair. Students who believe that they have been unfairly treated should first voice their concerns directly with the individual faculty member or administrator and attempt to resolve their concerns. A written appeal should not be entered upon lightly by a student, nor lightly dismissed by an instructor or administrator.

When the grading or program issue cannot be resolved through direct meetings with the faculty or administrator responsible, students may submit a written appeal to the Division Chair or School Dean. The written appeal must be submitted no later than two calendar weeks after the release of final grades. The Division Chair or School Dean will review the issues with the student and faculty member and then make a written determination regarding the action to be taken.

If the student elects to appeal the Division Chair or School Dean’s decision, he/she must submit a separate formal appeal to the Dean of Academic Administration, which includes (a) a rationale for the appeal of the Division Chair and/or School Dean’s decision, (b) the original written student appeal to the Division Chair or School Dean and (c) the official written response of the Division Chair or School Dean.   This formal appeal to the Dean of Academic Administration MUST be submitted no later than TWO WEEKS following the decision of the Division Chair and/or School Dean in which the issue occurred or by a pre-set date in cases of suspension or dismissal.  The decision of the Dean of Academic Administration is final.

If the appeal process results in a change of grade, the appropriate administrator must submit the signed grade change form to the Office of the Registrar. 

Academic Forgiveness Policy

The Academic Forgiveness Policy applies to any undergraduate student who has experienced academic deficiencies (probation, suspension, dismissal) at Walsh University. The student must not have attended Walsh University for at least 36 months, must have been re-admitted to the university, must have completed after re-admission at least two semesters of course work at the university with a minimum grade point average of 2.5, and must be registered for course work in current semester.

This policy applies only to the semester(s) during which the student was on academic probation, continuing academic probation, suspension, or dismissal. Only those courses with a final grade of "F" (failure) are to be excluded from the student’s grade point average. Although no longer tabulated in figuring the student’s grade point average, "F" grades will remain on the student’s official academic transcript, but annotated with the letter "E" to indicate their exclusion from calculation of the cumulative G.P.A.

Additionally, it is the responsibility of the student to re-take any excluded courses that are necessary for graduation.

A student may use the Academic Forgiveness Policy only once and this designation will be noted on the academic transcript. Those who qualify to apply for academic forgiveness under this policy may submit a petition directly to the Dean of Academic Administration.

Academic Honors

Students enrolled for at least 12 credits who achieve a grade average of 3.5 or higher in any semester are included on the Dean’s List. Part-time students are considered for the Dean’s List in the semester their class status changes (freshman to sophomore, etc.). The registrar’s office will compile the Dean’s List for students enrolled in the School for Professional Studies Program at the end of each fall and spring semester. The cumulative G.P.A. based on the five (5) sessions that can occur during these semesters will be used to determine eligibility for the Dean’s List. Current policies regarding Dean’s List as stated in the Walsh University Catalog will be used to determine eligibility.

Graduating baccalaureate students may receive the following citations:

  • Summa Cum Laude — graduation with highest honors requiring a cumulative grade point average of 3.9.
  • Magna Cum Laude — graduation with high honors requiring a cumulative grade point average of 3.75.
  • Cum Laude — graduation with honors requiring a cumulative grade point average of 3.5.
  • With Distinction — associate degree honors requiring a cumulative grade point average of 3.5.

The number of grade points earned in a course is computed by multiplying the number of credit hours by the quality points assigned to the grade earned. The cumulative grade point average is computed by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of credit hours attempted.

Academic Integrity Policy and Procedures

I. Policy Statement

Academic integrity lies at the heart of student–teacher relationships involving learning, free inquiry, and the search for knowledge and truth. Inspired by the spirit of the Judeo-Christian tradition expressed in the University’s mission statement, Walsh University requires all faculty and students to act honestly, morally, and ethically in the maintenance of professional standards for learning, research, writing, and assessment. To maintain the academic integrity of the University, students are responsible for their own academic work. Academic dishonesty is not acceptable.

II. Penalties and Sanctions

Violations of academic integrity and appropriate penalties vary in severity, and range from failure of a specific test or assignment, reduced course grade, failure of the course, probation, suspension, to dismissal from a program or from the University1. The faculty member has the primary responsibility in determining the severity of the impact on a student’s grades in a course. In cases where the faculty member believes the severity of the offense warrants academic probation, suspension, or dismissal, such a recommendation should proceed through the division chair or school dean to the Dean for Academic Administration for review by the Committee on Academic Standing. It is the responsibility of the faculty member to provide all documentation and supporting materials related to violations of academic integrity.  In the case of dismissal from either a program or the University resulting from unprofessional behavior or an integrity violation, the dismissal will be noted on the student's academic transcript.

III. Procedures for Handling Alleged Violations

If a faculty member discovers, and/or has reason to believe that the student has committed an academic integrity violation, the faculty member checks the Academic Integrity Repository for prior offenses and communicates to the student the nature of the charge, the information collected, and the penalty warranted. The faculty member determines the violation, the student’s grade, and the penalty imposed.

If the student concurs with the decision, the faculty member notifies the division chair and/or school dean in writing of the decision and the penalty and includes any supporting materials and documentation related to the decision. The chair will send a copy of the report to the Dean of Academic Services for inclusion in the Academic Integrity Repository file. If the student maintains that the allegation is in error, or that the decision was unfair, he or she may appeal the decision in accordance with the University’s Academic Appeals procedures.

IV. Definitions

Academic Dishonesty

The definition of Academic dishonesty is the fabrication or misrepresentation of work, either intentional or unintentional, which includes, but is not limited to, plagiarism, cheating, lying, forgery, sabotage, bribery, and the multi-submission of work.


Plagiarism is the representation of the works, ideas, data, or arguments of others as one’s own. Whether quoting, paraphrasing, or reiterating others’ ideas, students are responsible for documenting any materials taken from other sources. This means that students identify the source through footnotes, quotation marks and/or other forms of documentation. Sources include books, magazines, newspapers, electronic media, private letters, interviews, or other individuals’ work. Additionally, a classroom paper must not be merely a series of phrases, sentences, or paragraphs copied from a source or sources.


Cheating is using, or attempting to use, unacknowledged or unauthorized materials, information, data, or ideas. In addition to plagiarism, looking at another student’s materials and/or using unauthorized external aids of any sort during an exam or completion of assignments is also cheating.


Lying is the intentional misrepresentation of facts or situations relevant to students’ performances in the academic setting.


Forgery is the fabricating, altering or counterfeiting of images, documents, or signatures on any information, data, or documents.


Sabotage means deliberately impairing, destroying, damaging, or stealing another’s work or working materials such as lab experiments, library resources, computer programs, term papers, exams, or projects.


Bribery means offering any service or article with the purpose or effect of receiving a grade or other academic benefit not earned on the
merits of the academic work.

Multi-Submission of Work

A classroom paper of any type must be the work of the student submitting it. Student should normally submit credit work for only one course, unless the instructor(s) grant prior written consent for submission to meet requirements for any other course.

Academic Integrity Repository

A confidential file of student academic Integrity violations kept electronically in the Office of Academic Affairs by the Dean of Academic Administration. Faculty may request confirmation of prior student offenses.

Academic Load

A typical full-time load is 32 credit hours for the academic year. Students are classified as full-time if they register for 12 credit hours or more in a given semester. No student is permitted to enroll for more than 19 semester hours without permission of the student’s faculty advisor.

Academic Standing (Good Standing, Probation, Dismissal, and Suspension)

A minimum overall grade point average of 2.0 is considered good academic standing for students with sophomore, junior, or senior status. Freshmen are considered to be in good academic standing with a 1.75 overall grade point average. Any student who is under the grade point average required for good academic standing for his/her class will be placed on academic probation at the end of the current semester; however, in cases where the semester grade point average is 1.00 or below the student will be subject to academic suspension. Students in this situation may appeal their suspension within two weeks of receipt of their official notification of suspension.

Probationary students are required to attend a minimum of five counseling sessions coordinated through the Counseling Services office. Failure to initiate counseling sessions will result in a registration hold. Probationary students also are required to take the study skills course (GE 110) unless they have successfully completed it while at Walsh University. In this case they still must complete the 10-hour tutoring requirement for this course. Probation students are supervised by the Director of Academic Achievement.

A student placed on academic probation who has improved the grade point average but not yet achieved good academic standing will be placed 0n continued probation, EXCEPT in cases where the semester grade point average is 1.00 or below. In this case, the student will be subject to academic suspension or dismissal. Students who are on continuing probation for 2 semesters can be subject to suspension.

Under academic suspension, the student is ineligible to return until at least one semester (excluding summer) has passed and a minimum of six semester hours have been completed at another institution with a grade of "C" or higher.

Under academic dismissal, the student is ineligible to return until three years have passed. Students receiving academic suspension or dismissal and experiencing extenuating circumstances may appeal this decision by following the instructions stated in their academic standing letter.

Registrations for subsequent semesters will be cancelled for all students who have been suspended or dismissed.

Readmission After Academic Suspension or Dismissal

A student suspended from the University for academic reasons is eligible for readmission after an interim of one semester (excluding summer terms) and the completion of six credits as a transient student at another institution. The Walsh University School for Professional Studies Program does not count as another institution.

A student dismissed from the University for academic reasons is eligible for readmission after an interim of three years.

Students suspended or dismissed may seek to re-enroll under the Academic Forgiveness Policy. For specific guidelines see Academic Forgiveness Policy.

All petitions for re-admission must be submitted to and approved by the Dean of Academic Administration prior to completing an official application for readmission.

Upon approval, an application for readmission must be completed and submitted to the Office of Admissions. Additionally, upon change of status, students will be required to attend five counseling sessions through the University’s Counseling Services Office.

Attendance Policy

Attendance at all classes and laboratories is expected of all students. Exceptions may occur as described below.

Students are excused from regular lectures and laboratories for approved, university-sponsored activities such as intercollegiate athletic competitions and special events (field trips, e.g.) approved by University administration. Students who are excused from a particular class are responsible for notifying the instructor in advance of the absence, for making arrangements to complete any learning activities occurring during their absence, and for completing that work within the agreed time. If coursework is time-restricted or requires participation with others, alternative learning activities can be substituted or an adjustment can be made in the grade calculation that does not penalize the student for the missed coursework.  All make-up for exams or labs must be at the instructor’s convenience. Each course syllabus should provide attendance/absence/make-up policies.

Excuses from class for reasons other than university-sponsored activities are determined by individual instructors according to the policies of their division. Students are responsible for knowing an instructor’s attendance policy, as stated in the course syllabus.

In case of foreseen and extended absences, a student should assume responsibility to inform instructors, gather assignments, and make suitable arrangements to make up work. For unforeseen absences, the student should contact instructors as soon as possible and determine whether it is possible to make up the work, whether withdrawal is the best option, or whether an Incomplete might be arranged. Except for officially excused absences, instructors are not required to permit make-ups.

Administrative Withdrawal (Non-Attendance)

After one written warning to the student, and with appropriate notice of such a practice in the syllabus, an instructor may administratively withdraw a student from a course after unexcused non-attendance in an on-ground course, or unexcused non-participation in an online course, in at least 20% of the specific course schedule per the following schedule:

  • 3-5 week course                     after one week
  • 8 week course                        after two weeks
  • Semester course                     after three weeks

The student must receive one written warning from the instructor to the student’s Walsh University email address. Administrative withdrawals will not be permitted after the last day to withdraw from the term (per appropriate term of the Academic calendar) without permission of the Dean of Academic Administration. Refer to the academic calendar for specific dates. A student who is administratively withdrawn from a class will receive a final grade of W (withdrawal).

Auditing a Course

Students may audit a course with permission of the instructor and the Division Chair and/or Dean of the School upon payment of the auditing fee, one-half the regular tuition rate per course. An audited course appears on the student’s academic record; however, no credits are earned and no grade is assigned. Program major and core requirements cannot be met through auditing. Students may change from credit to audit status only with the approval of the instructor and Division Chair. A request for this change MUST be submitted and approved no later than the last day of the add/drop period (refer to the University Calendar for specific dates). Honors Students must have the permission of the Honors Director.

Catalog Time Limit and Changing Catalog Years

Walsh University students are responsible for completing degree requirements for the catalog in effect the first semester they enter the University. If a full-time student should drop out and/or not complete a degree within seven (7) years, that student must switch to the most recent University catalog. If a part-time student drops out and/or does not complete a degree within ten (10) years, that student must also switch to the most recent University catalog.

A student may request to switch to the current catalog year by completing a request form in the Student Service Center.

Change of Demographic Information and Legal Name

If a student needs to update a change in address, telephone number, legal name, etc., he/she may complete a Change of Information Request Form in the Student Service Center and/or submit a signed letter requesting such changes, or print the form at, click Academics, then select Office of the Registrar, then Forms. Official changes will be processed upon receipt of the request. The Office of the Registrar will not update demographic information in the University’s computer system without a signature of authorization.

All legal name changes will be updated after a Change of Information Request Form has been submitted along with the appropriate legal documentation verifying the name change. Please bring a driver's license, social security card or marriage certificate as evidence of a legal change.

Change of Major/Minor or Academic Advisor

Students are required to notify the Office of the Registrar and their academic advisor if there is a change in their major or minor or if it is listed incorrectly. In order to change a major, minor, or academic advisor, students must complete a change of Major/Minor Form or Change of Advisor Form in the Student Service Center or, click Academics, then select Office of the Registrar, then Forms. The student’s current academic advisor will be responsible for forwarding the advising materials to the new assigned advisor.

Changes in Registration (During Add/Drop Period)

Changes in registration are initiated in the Office of the Registrar. Students may add or drop courses during the add/drop period for the semester (refer to the University Calendar for specific dates). The official student academic record will not reflect courses dropped during the add/drop period. A fee is charged for each change in registration that occurs after the official registration period. All requests must be signed and submitted on an official Add/Drop Form available in the Student Service Center. Cancelled courses will be dropped automatically by the Office of the Registrar. However, it is the student’s responsibility to add another course in its place. Cancelled courses will not be assessed a charge in registration fee.

Students planning to enroll in a variable credit course must secure the appropriate credit hour no later than the end of the add/drop period for the semester.

The student’s academic advisor must approve all course changes in registration.

Classification of Students

Students are classified at the beginning of each semester on the basis of records filed with the Office of the Registrar.

Freshmen are those admitted to a regular course of study leading to a degree; sophomores are those who have successfully completed 32 semester hours; juniors are those who have successfully completed 64 semester hours, and seniors are those who have successfully completed 96 semester hours.

Some individuals are admitted to the University under special enrollment and permitted to take any course for which they have had satisfactory preparation. Special student enrollments are classified as non-degree-seeking.

Course Prerequisites

Walsh University enforces all course prerequisites. Students who have not met the prerequisites for a course may be administratively dropped from the course by the instructor and/or division chair during the add/drop period.

Course Sequence Restrictions

Students with credit in MATH 103-MATH 104 (Algebra), MATH 155-MATH 156 (Elementary Functions), MATH 207-MATH 208, MATH 307, and MATH 405 (Introduction to Modern Analysis I) are not allowed to subsequently take and/or receive credit in any of the courses listed here with lower numbers. No student with credit in any math course above MATH 100 may subsequently take MATH 100 for credit.

Students with credit in foreign language 101-102, 201-202 are not allowed to subsequently take and/or receive credit in any of the courses listed with lower numbers.

If students have credit in any course numbered above 202, they are precluded from subsequently taking or receiving credit in 101-102 and/or 201-202.

Declaring a Program Concentration

Any student interested in pursuing a specific concentration should first consult the Division Chair and/or Dean of School for specific information.

Second Bachelor’s Degree

Walsh University’s graduates may pursue a second bachelor’s degree at the University. Candidates for a second bachelor’s degree must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 32 semester hours at Walsh University (with a minimum of 15 hours in the major) and must meet all departmental and University requirements if not already satisfied. Transfer credits and CLEP or special tests do not apply to the 32 semester hours.

The student must pursue a discipline disparate from the first discipline.

No credit hours from the first degree can count toward the 32 hours required for the second bachelor’s degree.

Declaring Double Majors

Students may simultaneously complete the requirements for two majors (i.e., Biology and Chemistry). Both majors will be posted on the transcript and diploma. A double major must be declared after the first semester of the freshman year by filing a Declaration of Second Major Form with the Office of the Registrar.

A second major will consist of all major requirements as defined in the University catalog for the year the student entered Walsh University. One of these majors will require at least 18 additional credits beyond the credits required for the other major. Please consult the appropriate academic advisor or division chair and/or Dean of School for assistance. See core requirements.

Requirements for a double major must be fulfilled before a degree is conferred. A student may not return for a double major after the degree has been conferred for the first major; however, a student may return for a second degree (refer to Second Bachelor’s Degree).

Enrollment Verifications

Students may request enrollment verifications by completing an Enrollment Data Request form. Forms are available online at (click Academics-Office of the Registrar-Forms) or in the Student Service Center located in Farrell Hall. Forms must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar and normal processing time requires 3 business days. Enrollment verifications are typically utilized to verify enrollment for insurance purposes.

Graduation Requirements

Each candidate for a degree is responsible for meeting all requirements for graduation. Faculty advisors assist the student.

Commencement exercises are held at the end of the December and Spring semesters. Diplomas for those terms are awarded upon certification of all degree requirements. Diplomas are mailed to the graduates who complete their requirements by the end of the term.

Candidates for a bachelor’s degree must complete requirements for formal acceptance by earning a minimum of 125 semester hours, or 124 semester hours for students enrolled in the School for Professional Studies programs, fulfilling all requirements of the General Education Core Curriculum and the chosen major (Note: The last 32 semester hours prior to graduation must be hours earned at Walsh University, with a minimum of 15 credits in the major field. In the DeVille School of Business a minimum of 9 of the 15 hours must be coursework in the student’s chosen major area of specialization excluding core business coursework.) Students must achieve a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (C) as well as a minimum of 2.0 in their major, unless otherwise stated by their division.

Candidates for graduation must file an "Application for Graduation" in the Office of the Registrar according to the following deadlines:

Spring Semester Graduation September 30
Summer Semester Graduation Feburary 1
Fall Semester Graduation June 1

With no exceptions, completed applications must be returned to the Office of the Registrar. Applications are available in the Student Service Center or, click Academics - Office of the Registrar - Forms.

All requirements for commencement (financial, academic, institutional) must be met before a candidate for a degree will receive a diploma.

In Progress Grade Policy (IP)

An "IP" grade is issued when the nature of the course requires ongoing work that cannot be completed in the semester in which the student was enrolled in the course. Typical courses for which an "IP" grade is an option include independent studies, field work/clinical experience courses, project courses, self-directed study and similar courses of an unstructured nature. Course work for an "IP" grade will be completed within one calendar year following the semester in which the "IP" grade was issued. When the course work is completed, the instructor of record will issue a revised grade converting the "IP" to the appropriate letter grade. In cases where one year is not sufficient to complete the course work for reasons deemed valid by the instructor, the student may appeal to the dean/chair for an extension. If "IP" course work is not completed and/or an extension has not been approved by the instructor, the "IP" grade will converted to a letter grade of "F." No student will be allowed to graduate with an "IP" on the official transcript.

Note: The in-progress grade designation is limited to undergraduate courses that span over two consecutive semesters.

Incomplete Grade Policy (I)

An "I" grade is issued for a structured course when a student is unable to complete a specific component for the required course work due to valid personal, professional, health, or family crisis reasons. Incomplete course work must be completed by the end of the following semester. If the outstanding course work is not completed at the end of this time frame, the "I" grade will be converted to an "F" by the instructor unless an exception is granted by the dean/chair. No student will be allowed to graduate with an "I" on the official transcript.

Life Experience Credit

The University also awards credit for life experience through a formal assessment process. This option is available (though admittedly more rare) for traditional as well as non-traditional students. For information, contact the School for Professional Studies (Director of Portfolio).

Medical Leave of Absence

Any student who is experiencing personal/emotional/medical difficulties and is unable to complete academic and/or social responsibilities to Walsh University may request a medical leave of absence. Requests for medical leaves are initiated through Counseling Services located in the David Family Campus Center. A medical leave of absence does not guarantee a refund of tuition and fees.

Minor Requirements

A minor at Walsh University requires a designated combination of lower and upper level course work totaling a minimum of 18 credit hours. To earn a minor, students must complete a minimum of 9 credit hours in the minor discipline in addition to any course work in the proposed minor already fulfilled by courses in their major. If a student has completed equivalent course work for the minor through transfer credit, CLEP or DANTES tests, an additional minimum of 6 credit hours of course work in the minor must be completed at Walsh University. Courses counted toward University core requirements may be used to fulfill minor requirements. Declaration of Minor Forms are available in the Office of the Registrar or online at, click Academics, Registrar, then Forms.

The School for Professional Studies (SPS) students who wish to declare a main campus minor must be fully accepted into either the SPS Business, Corporate Communication or RN-BSN completion program. Students must complete a Declaration of Minor Form and submit it to the chair of the division and/or Dean of the school of the minor and the Assistant Dean of Non-traditional Programs for official approval.


Grades are available to students twice a semester in the form of mid-term and final grades.

The Cavalier Center is the official site for viewing and obtaining grades.

Mid-term grades are submitted by faculty for all students at the mid-point of the semester. They can be viewed on the Cavalier Center.

Final grades are submitted by faculty for all students at the conclusion of each semester. Final grades are generally available for viewing on the Cavalier Center no later than 5 business days after the faculty grade submission deadline.

Reduced Core for Transfer Students

Students initially transferring into Walsh University with 60 or more earned hours, a GPA of 2.0 or higher, and accepted to matriculate for a degree, may elect to complete a reduced core if they desire. In addition, students transferring into Walsh University who have earned an associate degree from their transfer institution may elect to complete a reduced core.

The requirements for a reduced core will include one 3-credit course from each of the following: Theology, Philosophy, English (200 level or above), History, and Social Science. If the student has not successfully passed Composition (102 level), Math (104 level or above, depending on major) and Science at another school, these requirements must also be met in addition to those listed above.

Reduced Core Requirements1

Choice of Philosophy
Choice of Theology
English (competency at 102 level)6
Read/Writing Connections
Choice of ENG course, 200 level or higher
Social Sciences/Economics6
Choice of one HST course
Choice of one SOC, PSYCH, ECON or GFA course
Choice of one MATH course 104 level or higher, depending on major (excludes 110, 120, 130)
Choice of one SCI course


Registration is the formal enrollment in the University. An official registration period is scheduled before each semester. (Refer to each semester for registration procedures and dates). The registration appointments are based on total hours earned. Formal registration is required for credit in ANY course. All students are expected to complete registration within the time published in the University calendar. A late registration fee is assessed for registrations after the published deadline. Students who do not complete registration properly or who fail to secure final approval from the Student Accounts Office and Registrar’s Office of the University are not considered officially enrolled and will be denied all credit for the semester.

Repetition of Courses

Students may repeat any course taken at Walsh University. There may be limits by individual divisions set on the number of times a course may be repeated in the major. The recording of grades for a repeated course will be governed by the following conditions:

  1. credit for a course will only be awarded once (The student cannot transfer in a course already completed at Walsh);
  2. the best grade is used in the calculation of the grade point average with the exception that a "W" cannot replace another grade;
  3. the original grade and the repeated grade will appear on the student’s transcript. Only one course is counted toward graduation requirements.

Scholastic Eligibility

Full-time students are eligible to participate in intercollegiate athletics and other extra-curricular activities if they meet eligibility requirements for such activities. Students on academic probation will work with the academic advisor to arrange schedules which will allow them full opportunity to improve their performance.

Student Enrollment Status - Undergraduate

Walsh University students who officially register for courses are differentiated as:

  • full-time (12 or more credit hours);
  • 3/4-time (9–11 credit hours),
  • half-time (6–8 credit hours); or
  • less-than-half-time (5 or fewer credit hours).

This is critical for students who receive financial aid, medical insurance, etc.

Transfer of Credit

Transfer of college credit toward a degree for courses taken at a college or university other than Walsh must be approved by the Registrar or appropriate division chair. Walsh University accepts transfer credits from regionally accredited institutions with a grade of "C" or better. Pre-nursing students, science, psychology pre-OT, and psychology pre-PT majors who wish to transfer science courses from 2-year community colleges or technical colleges, must earn a "B" or better grade. The DeVille School of business uses the grade earned and documented on the credit awarding institution’s transcript for equivalent business BCP I, BCP II, and major coursework when calculating a student’s GPA for advancement and graduation requirements. The grades earned are not included in the student’s cumulative grade point index. Only credit hours are accepted and recorded on the academic record for each transferred course as "TR."

A student who has earned credits in a technical program (industrial, commercial, culinary, agricultural, mechanical, musical or the arts) at a regionally accredited two- or four-year college or university may transfer in as many as 15 hours of technical credits as elective credits. These technical credits will not fulfill core or major requirements.

All students will be held to completing the last 32 semester hours prior to graduation at Walsh University, with a minimum of 15 hours in the
major field.

Transient Student Status (Concurrent Enrollment)

Once matriculated (accepted and paid required deposit), a Walsh student may attend another institution as a transient student. A Transient Student Request Form must be completed and returned to the Office of the Registrar for official approval of the transfer courses. Transient students may not transfer any more than 15 semester hours from another institution. No transient work will be approved for courses already completed or failed at Walsh University. The General Education Service Learning and Heritage Series courses do not transfer into Walsh University. Please consult your academic advisor for assistance with selecting these  on-campus courses. No credits completed will be accepted at Walsh without prior written consent of the Registrar or the appropriate Academic Division Chair on the transient form. Transient Forms are available in the Student Service Center or, click Registrar, then Forms. A course description must be attached to the form when submitting it to the Registrar or Assistant Registrar.

All students will be held to completing the last 32 semester hours prior to graduation at Walsh University, with a minimum of 15 hours in the
major field of study.

Credits earned by students participating in University approved study abroad or experiential learning programs are exempt from the 15 credit hour limit on transient students and the last 32 semester hour rule. Students participating in such programs must still complete a minimum of 15 hours in the major field of study at Walsh University and complete the Transient Student process.

Current freshmen and sophomore students are permitted to take courses at two- or four-year regionally accredited schools. Current junior and senior students may transfer credits from regionally accredited four-year schools only.

Courses taken in the academic major or required for fulfillment of the Core cannot be repeated for credit at another institution.

Transcript Requests - Official Transcripts

Normal Submission

All transcript requests must include your social security number or student ID number, phone number, dates of attendance at Walsh University, address you would like the transcript(s) mailed to and any former name(s). All transcript requests must include your signature (this is mandatory for release of your transcript, Public Law 93-579, Privacy Act of 1974).

Transcripts CANNOT be released if a Financial or Administrative hold exists.

An Official Transcript Request Form is available online at under Registrar-Forms via the "Transcript Request" button. Requests may be ordered in person, at the Student Service Center, mailed to the University, or faxed to 330-490-7372.

Transcripts may be picked up at the Student Service Center located in Farrell Hall, first floor. A photo ID is required. Mail requests to:

Walsh University
2020 East Maple Street
North Canton, OH 44720

Attention: Transcripts (Office of the Registrar)

Online Submission

The Office of the Registrar has implemented on-line transcript requests. This feature is available to students who were enrolled beginning Summer 2000. Students who attended prior to Summer 2000 will need to use the Normal Submission process.

The On-line Transcript Request option may be accessed through the Cavalier Center at With Online Submission students have the ability to request transcripts AND check on the status of the request.

All transcripts will be processed in 3-5 business days and will be mailed to the address provided by the student or picked up at the Student Service Center.

Unofficial Transcripts

Students may complete an unofficial transcript request form in the Office of the Registrar. Unofficial transcripts are processed within 48 hours. Students can also access their unofficial transcript via the Cavalier Center (Student Self-Service System). Transcript will not display or be processed until all financial obligations have been satisfied.

Withdrawal From a Course (After Add/Drop Period)

After the add/drop period and no later than two weeks before the last class day, a student may withdraw from a course by completing an Add/Drop Form available in the Student Service Center. The academic advisor and instructor must approve any course dropped during this time period.

  • A course dropped after the add/drop period up to the last date of current registration will receive a grade of "W" (Withdrawal). No student will be allowed to drop after this date. Consult the academic calendar for dates.
  • The student who fails to attend a course and who also fails to withdraw will result in a final grade of "F" in the course.

Changes in registration of any student receiving veterans’ benefits will be forwarded to the Veterans Administration. It is critical that the Veteran notify the certifying official in the office of the Registrar of any changes.

Withdrawal from the University

A student who wishes to withdraw from Walsh University, thereby discontinuing enrollment, will need to complete the University withdrawal form. The student must secure the instructor’s and advisor’s signature on the Add/Drop Form. Both forms are available in the Student Service Center. In addition, all athletes must secure the signature of the Athletic Academic Support Specialist. University withdrawal is not official until this form is signed, returned and processed by the Office of the Registrar.

The University’s refund policy and the date the signed form is returned to the Office of the Registrar will determine tuition refunds. Refer to the Withdrawal from a Course section for an explanation of assigned grades and withdrawal deadlines. A change in registration fee will not be assessed for a complete withdrawal from the University.

The last day to withdraw from the current semester is no more than 2 weeks prior to the end of the term. No student will be allowed to withdraw during the last 2 weeks of classes in the term.

Suspension and Expulsion

The University will follow the Withdrawal Policy stated above in the event suspension or expulsion occurs. Students suspended or expelled after the refund periods will be obligated to pay all charges in full.

Undergraduate Grading System

Academic credit at Walsh University is granted in semester units.

Grade Designation Quality Points Per Credit
A Superior 4.0
A- Excellent 3.7
B+ Very Good 3.3
B Good 3.0
B- Above Average 2.7
C+ Average 2.3
C Average 2.0
C- Below Average 1.7
D+ Poor 1.3
D Very Poor 1.0
D- Extremely Poor 0.7
F Failure 0.0
S Satisfactory1
Grade Designation Quality Points Per Credit
U Unsatisfactory1
W Withdrew Officially1
AU Audit1
I Incomplete2
IP In Progress1
NA Never attended; no official withdrawal (granted during midterm only)1

Note: Effective Spring 2010, WP, WF were removed from the University grading system. (2.0 is the lowest acceptable grade point average at Walsh University.)