Clinical Laboratory Science Pre-Professional 4+1 Track (B.S.)
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of discipline- specific content related to macro- principles describing the 3 domains of biology and the molecular nature of life.
- Students will use critical thinking by demonstrating the ability to recognize the components of a problem, formulate a strategy to solve the problem, apply comprehensive scientific knowledge to execute a solution and then evaluate the effectiveness of the solution.
- Students will demonstrate communication skills reflective of professional standards consistent biology-related associations (i.e.FASEB).
- Students will demonstrate discipline- specific core laboratory and calculation- based skills related to the characterization and classification of life forms, their components and habitats and in the molecular analysis of living species.
- Students will demonstrate readiness for post-baccalaureate entry into a workforce or acceptance into graduate or professional programs in Biology and/or health professions.
- Students will demonstrate global perspective in their understanding of how biological factors affect economics, health, technology and the environment.
- General Education Requirements
Course List Code Title Hours Biology 12 BIO 101 T1:Principles of Biology I 3 BIO 101L Principles of Biology I: Lab 1 BIO 102 Principles of Biology II 3 BIO 102L Principles of Biology II: Lab 1 BIO 200 Medical Terminology 1 BIO 206 Microbiology 3 BIO 206L Microbiology: Lab 1 BIO 209 Anatomy/Physiology I 3 BIO 209L Anatomy/Physiology I: Lab 1 BIO 210 Anatomy/Physiology II 3 BIO 210L Anatomy/Physiology II: Lab 1 BIO/CHEM Electives: 12 11 BIO credit hours of 300-level or higher + internship (minimum of 1 hour); 2 credits maximum of BIO/CHEM 411/412; BIO/CHEM 390 counts BIO 304 Immunology 3-4 BIO/CHEM 307 Essential Biochemistry 3-4 BIO 402 DV:Genetics 3-4 BIO/CHEM 390 Biology Internship ( (No internship required if admitted to CLS Internship) 1-3 Biology/Chemistry elective(s) 300-level or higher 1-4 Chemistry 16 CHEM 101 T1: Principles of Chemistry I 3 CHEM 101L Principles of Chemistry I: Lab 1 CHEM 102 Principles of Chemistry II 3 CHEM 102L Principles of Chemistry II:Lab 1 CHEM 201 Organic Chemistry I 3 CHEM 201L Organic Chemistry I: Lab 1 CHEM 202 Organic Chemistry II 3 CHEM 202L Organic Chemistry II: Lab 1 Mathematics 5-6 MATH 155 Elementary Functions I 3 or MATH 156 Elementary Functions II MATH 207 Calculus I 5 MATH 221 Statistics ( (required)) 3 Philosophy 3 PHIL 304 H3:Bioethics 3 Physics 8 PHYS 101 Principles of Physics I 3 PHYS 101L Principles of Physics I: Lab 1 PHYS 102 Principles of Physics II 3 PHYS 102L Principles of Physics II: Lab 1 Total Hours 65-66
Student also must fulfill requirements of hospital-based program. See Division Chair for program details.