Museum Studies (B.A.)
Student Learning Outcomes
1. Students will care for objects in terms of collections policy, preservation and conservation, storage, exhibition design, transport and handling, environment, and basic registration methods.
2. Students will distinguish among the various kinds of visitors in terms of motivation and learning style in order to market to diverse groups, interpret objects for a variety of audiences, and generally enhance the visitor experience.
3. Students will demonstrate leadership skills critical to museum sustainability in terms of ethics, fundraising and development, project management, diversity and cultural sensitivity, and community collaborations.
4. Students will exhibit content knowledge in one of three areas: art history, history, or the natural sciences.
5. Students will master hands-on experiences in the practicum and internship in order to put theory into practice within a designated career cluster (leadership, curatorial, education).
6. Students will research and write effectively.
7. Students will communicate effectively through oral presentations and digital platforms.
- A Double-Major or Minor in one of the following disciplines: Biology, Business, Chemistry, or Theology.
- A Global Learning (GL) experience
- General Education Requirements
- A total of 36 sem. hrs. in Museum Studies from Lists A, B, C and D below
|List A: Required Core Museum Studies Courses and Internships|
|MS 101||Introduction to Museum Studies||3|
|MS 301||Museum Studies Internship I||3|
|MS 302||Museum Studies InternshipII||3|
|MS 401||Seminar in Museology||3|
|MS 402||SL:DM: Senior Capstone Project||3|
|List B: Required Core Content Courses|
|Select three of the following:|
|ARHI 101||T1:DV:History of Art||3|
|ARHI Elective 200 level or higher||3|
|BIO 101||T1:Principles of Biology I||3|
|or BIO 102||Principles of Biology II|
|100 level HIST Elective||3|
|200 level or higher HIST Elective||3|
|SOC 202||H2b:DV: Cultural Anthropo||3|
|List C: Required Museum Professionalism|
|Select nine semester hours from the following:|
|COM 360||Intro Advert/Public Relations||3|
|MS 225||Intro to Archives/Records Mgt||3|
|MS 320||Museums of Rome (In Rome)||3|
|MS 325||Exhibition Design||3|
|MS 330||Museum Education||3|
|MS 390||Museum Admin & Leadership||3|
|MS 415||Senior Internship||3|
|List D: Additional Professional Development Course|
|Select one of the following:|
|ENG 240||Professional Writing I||3|
|ENG 340||H3:Professional Writing II||3|
|ENG 342||Grant Writing||3|